With over 20 years of experience providing plumbing services to the Memphis area, the leak detection experts at Stewart Plumbing understand that when your pipes are leaking, it can be an expensive fix that will only get more costly if ignored. At Stewart Plumbing, we’ve seen it all too many times—the consequences of a neglected leak can lead to serious property damage. Fortunately, there are some common warning signs that can alert you to a pipe leak before it does any permanent damage to your property.
Warning signs of leaky pipes:
- Soggy carpet or warped floors When water leaks from your pipes and into your home, it has nowhere to go. Soon that water will absorb into your floor, saturating the flooring, cracking tiles and seeping into expensive carpeting. Don’t wake up to a waterlogged home. Stay alert and call Stewart Plumbing if you notice damp or wet flooring in your home.
- Musty or moldy odor. Standing water or a waterlogged floor can make your clean, modern home smell more like an old, abandoned cabin. Moldy, musty odors in your home are one of the most common warning signs that you are facing a pipe leak.
- Mold growth. Pipe leaks commonly progress from the original site into the floors and then into the drywall which soaks up the leaking water like a sponge. If the leak has been allowed to progress this far unchecked, there is a good chance you will find significant mold growth. Wet drywall is an ideal environment for mold to multiply and thrive. Because it is typically hidden behind your walls, mold can be tough to detect. But, it is something that is very important to be mindful of as it can cause serious health problems for you and your family.
- Foundation destruction. This type of damage is usually only found in ‘worst case scenario’ type jobs in which leaks have been allowed to progress undetected for a significant length of time. If exposed to high levels of accumulated water, your foundation can become seriously compromised. A severe leak left to run its course can eventually cause the foundation to move, rise in different areas of the house or even completely crack in two.
- Damaged yard and landscaping. If the leak is coming from pipes running under your yard, water could eventually flood your carefully landscaped yard.
Take these warning signs very seriously. If ignored, pipe leaks can and will cause massive amounts of property damage. So don’t hesitate—call Stewart Plumbing today!